- Bring a jacket.
- Everything you want to go to is closed. This goes for a corner market in the morning when all you want is a water, a sushi place, a bar, take-out, the club you used to go to. Exceptions: Big Gay Safeway and the 500 Club.
- MUNI is just as bad a public transit system as they say.
- Don't give money to hobos. You'll start to know your favorite "unhoused" person in your neighborhood - ask them what else they might want, other than money. Hotel soap, a pack of smokes, a bottle of milk (helps ease a sour/diabetic stomach)? Get creative with your time interacting with our unhoused population or you'll go nuts. Got a guilt complex? Volunteer! Work in a food kitchen.
- No one takes American Express.
- Fisherman's Wharf is only useful for In-N-Out burger. (Updated to add: In-N-Out is good, but it's not THAT good promise-of-the-golden-west style. I think their fries are lame. They will give you your burger on the side to give a snack to your puppydog.)
- The Ferry Building farmers' market is awesome. The Civic Center farmers' market is cheap.
- Just like many things in life, it's easier when you hate it just a little bit.
- Everyone has an opinion on Burning Man.
- It's still my favorite city on Earth.
This is inspired by a conversation I had with my colleague Anil Dash a long time ago. And also by those silly "25 things about me" memes which make me want to stick a fork in my eye. I'm just getting used to being back in my favorite city again, so it was a good time to write this up.
What makes your city unique?